This recipe is from Biergarten, the restaurant at the Germany pavilion, at Walt Disney World. It was my favorite dessert. It was a soft, delicate cake that is addicting after just one bite. You will definitely be going back for seconds!
6 ounces Cream Cheese
6 ounces Baker's Cheese
2 Egg Yolks
4 ounces Granulated Sugar
8 ounces Sour Cream
1 ounce Lemon Juice
12 ounces Heavy Cream
1/2 ounce Gelatin
2 ounces Water
Vanilla Sponge Cake
VANILLA SPONGE CAKE
3/4 cup Sugar (granulated)
4 Egg yolks
1 teaspoon. Vanilla Extract
3/4 cup Flour (all-purpose)
3/4 teaspoon Baking Powder
1/2 teaspoon Salt
4 Egg Whites
1. Preheat an oven to 375 degrees F.
2. Sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
3. In a mixer, add the egg yolks and sugar beat until light and creamy. Add the vanilla extract.
4. Gradually add the flour mixture to the egg mixture. Beat until smooth.
5. Whip the egg whites until stiff, but not dry. Gently fold this into the cake batter.
6. Place into two separate greased and lined 8-inch round cake pans. Bake for approximately 10-12 minutes.
1. Whip heavy cream until soft peaks. Set aside.
2. Mix together in a mixing bowl the cream cheese, baker's cheese, egg yolks, and granulated sugar until smooth. Then add the sour cream and mix until smooth.
3. Gently add the whipped mixture to the cheese mixture being careful not to over whip.
4. Dissolve the gelatin in the water over a double boiler until the mixture is clear. Be careful not to whip the gelatin so it does not get air bubbles in it.
5. Add the gelatin mixture into the cheese mixture and fold quickly. When adding the gelatin mixture to the cheese mixture set the mixer on medium speed, and add it from the edge of the bowl, being careful not to get the gelatin on the whip or the side of the bowl so as to prevent lumping.
6. Using a springform pan, place one of the vanilla sponge cakes smooth side down. Immediately pour the cheese mixture on the cake, and smooth out surface. Then place the other cake on top with the smooth side out. Let set overnight.
7. Remove the cake from the springform pan. Sprinkle the top of the cake with powdered sugar. This cake can be served with any of your favorite fresh fruit sauce(s).