Grilled Prawn Salad with Tomatoes and Avocado Aioli
8 large fresh prawns, peeled and deveined
2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
1⁄2 teaspoon crushed garlic
4 slices (2 ounces) lean turkey bacon
4 cups mixed salad greens
2 Roma tomatoes, sliced lengthwise
1 medium very ripe avocado
1⁄3 cup plain, fat-free Greek-style yogurt
1 tablespoon chopped basil
2 teaspoons minced garlic
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
1⁄2 teaspoon salt
1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1. For avocado aioli: Combine the avocado, yogurt, basil, garlic, lemon juice, salt, and black pepper in a food processor and process until just smooth. Use immediately or store in the refrigerator.
2. For salad: Season the prawns with the oil and garlic. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
3. Heat a grill or nonstick skillet to medium high. Cook the bacon until crisp. Drain on a paper towel.
4. Grill or sauté the prawns for about 1 minute on each side, until pink. Drain on a paper towel until cool enough to handle and cut in half lengthwise.
5. Layer the greens with the prawns, bacon, and sliced tomatoes. Top each salad with a 2-tablespoon dollop of avocado aioli.
Mexican Turkey Burgers
Makes 6 burgers
Per serving (burger only): 120 calories, 23 g protein, 1 g carbohydrates, (0 g sugars), 2 g fat (1 g saturated), 40 mg cholesterol, 0 g fiber, 30 mg sodium
1 (20-ounce) package extra lean ground turkey breast
1⁄4 cup chopped cilantro
1⁄4 cup diced red onion
1⁄4 cup diced red bell pepper
1⁄3 cup diced fresh mushrooms
1 tablespoon Mexican seasoning or fajita seasoning
1⁄4 cup low-fat Mexican-blend cheese
1 teaspoon minced garlic
6 whole grain buns or Arnold Sandwich Thins
6 tablespoons salsa
1 1⁄2 medium avocados, peeled, pitted, and thinly sliced
6 tablespoons fat-free Greekstyle yogurt
1. In a large mixing bowl, combine the turkey, cilantro, onion, bell pepper, mushrooms, seasoning, cheese, and garlic. There will about 24 ounces (11/2 pounds) of mixture, or 4 cups. Divide into 6 (4-ounce) patties.
2. Grill the burgers for 3 minutes on each side, or until the inside is no longer pink. Serve on whole grain buns or Sandwich Thins topped with salsa, avocado, and yogurt (instead of sour cream).
Makes 1 serving
Per serving: 220 calories, 7 g protein, 39 g carbohydrates (8 g sugars), 4 g fat (0 g saturated), 0 mg cholesterol, 7 g fiber, 50 mg sodium
1 cup cooked steel-cut oats
2 tablespoons fresh or frozen blueberries
2 tablespoons fresh or frozen raspberries
1⁄2 cup sliced strawberries
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1⁄4 cup Almond Breeze unsweetened vanilla almond milk
1 packet sugar in the raw
1. Combine the oats, berries, vanilla, almond milk, and sugar in a cereal bowl and stir well. Microwave for 1 to 2 minutes and serve.
Fire-roasted tomato soup
Makes 4 servings
Per serving: 60 calories, 2 g protein, 8 g carbohydrates (5 g sugars), 2 g fat (0 g saturated), 0 mg cholesterol, 2 g fiber, 360 mg sodium
1 teaspoon olive oil
2 tablespoons minced shallot or onion
4 quarter-size slices peeled fresh ginger
1 tablespoon chopped garlic
11⁄2 cups (141⁄2-ounce can) diced fire-roasted tomatoes
1 cup fat-free chicken or vegetable broth
1⁄2 cup 1% or fat-free milk
Salt and ground black pepper to taste
1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives or scallion
1. In a 2-quart saucepan, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the shallot or onion and ginger and cook until softened, about 1 minute.
2. Add the garlic and tomatoes to the saucepan. Simmer for about 4 minutes, until the mixture begins to thicken. Add the broth and milk and just bring to a boil.
3. Carefully transfer the soup to a food processor or blender. Process or blend until smooth. Return to the saucepan and serve immediately.
4. Add salt and pepper to taste and garnish with the chives or scallion.